Tuesday, December 29, 2015

The Scream!

I saw the idea of children placing themselves into The Scream painting on Pinterest and I loved it! I had to try it out with 2nd and 3rd grade. I started by showing them a slideshow about the painting. They learned the back story behind it, about the artist, and that there were actually several different versions made. This allowed them to see the effects of using different mediums on different surfaces which was pretty cool. Before beginning the drawing aspect of the artwork I had them write a paragraph of a time they felt scared. This set the mood for the lesson. A few got stuck and couldn't think of anything at first but I also told them that describing a bad dream would work too. When they were done with this, we started by drawing our open mouthed scream faces, with hands on our cheeks. Then we added the long black cape garment that we saw in the original painting. Next came the bridge and swirly lined sky. Their drawing was outlined in Sharpie and then colored and painted in. I made sure to include a presentation day where the kids could go to the front and hold up their scream picture while reading their scary tale from the back.


No comments:

Post a Comment