Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Rainforest Snakes

2nd and 3rd graders got to explore the rainforest for this lesson. We learned interesting facts about the rainforest while studying the bountiful plant and animal life that subsides there. I chose to have the students draw rainforest snakes wrapping around a tree. I love the look of this project and was anxious to teach them how. Make sure they have their eraser handy, as it requires a lot of trial and error. They enjoyed drawing it step by step and learning what parts to erase, and what parts of the snake are left in front of the tree. It really shows a lot of depth and they loved how realistic their pictures were becoming. I let them draw their own pattern on the snake but suggested stripes or spots. I then wrote a few common snake color combinations on the board for them to choose from. I told them that if they wanted their snakes to continue looking realistic, that pink or purple isn't going to do lol Large rainforest plants and flowers were added on the sides of the paper and a background color was painted. I love that some actually included rain drops!


No comments:

Post a Comment