Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Winter Cardinals

I've seen a few winter cardinal lessons on Pinterest and they all looked too cute not to try. I introduced this lesson by saying that the pine tree, or famously known as the Christmas tree, was our state tree and the cardinal is out state bird. The kids thought this was so cool! I decided to incorporate both into the artwork. The first day was used to sketch out our bird and tree and then outlined in Sharpie. Even though I taught every class to draw it the same way, I love that they all end up with different personalities :) Oil pastels provided the perfect pop of bright red for our bird, followed by coloring our tree branch and a few green needles. A blue of their choice was painted on the background. The last step was the most fun. I gave out white paint and cue tips. They used these to paint snow dots falling from the sky. A few even put layered snow on their branches, which I thought was such a sweet idea!



No comments:

Post a Comment