Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Paper Plate Weavings

I think the older students, and myself needed a break from paint for awhile. It was time for a weaving project! This was super fun to teach and I had full attention and interest the whole time. We went over a few weaving art vocabulary such as textile, loom, warp and weft before we started. I showed pictures of different types of textiles and looms in a slideshow. I told them that we would be making a round loom that resembles a bicycle wheel. Each student got a paper plate and was told to cut slits at every 4 ridge. They then used small pieces of black string to pull through the middle, wrap around each notch, and tie on the back. This took a whole class period. If I did this again, I would have the students double up on the plates for it to be a bit more sturdy and less likely to bend forward. The next day I showed them how to start the fun part! I let them choose as many colors as they wanted, warning them to cut longer pieces each time, as their rings get bigger. I had a handful of students struggle with the over and under concept and they would lose their place, or pull too tight. But even they had fun figuring it out and starting over again. I told the students to stop weaving when they got close to the round ridge of the plate. They then drew a pattern going around their plate with a pencil and used fun paint colors to fill it in. I'm pleased with the results and couldn't wait to hang them in the hallway.



No comments:

Post a Comment